(Date of designation)
|How long have you been a Headteacher/Principal?||6 years|
(LA or Sponsor)
|North Chadderton School|
|Recent OfSTED judgement
(Overall and Leadership)
Context of School
Single Converter Academy – converted September 2014
1. Strong Ethos
● The ethos of ‘Driven to be Outstanding in all that we do’, is scheduled in the everyday practice of the school. It is central to culture of the school.
● The entire school community ‘buy-in’ to this ethos.
● Shortlisted for Secondary School of the Year – TES Awards – July 2015 as a direct reflection of this culture and ethos.
2. Sixth Form Provision
● Strong post 16 provision: achievement, progress, retention and progression.
● Three year trend of improvement at AS and A2.
● Wide curriculum offer suited to a range of ability and future choices (academic and vocational).
● Leadership opportunities available to all sixth from students and high up-take.
● Personal tutor and mentor session to support personal and academic progress.
● Work experience placement available for all students.
● On site annual Careers fair and Higher Education fair for post 16 learners
3. School to School Support/Partnerships
● Headteacher accredited as an LLE and 8 accredited SLEs in school, offering specialisms in English, Maths and Science as well as Curriculum and Assessment and Teaching and Learning/ CPD.
● Support programmes delivered in Oldham and other LAs.
● Training delivered to the Schools Direct trainees in the Dean Trust Alliance.
● Network lead for English in Oldham.
4. Leadership across the School
● The school invests heavily in training its staff and student body to develop their Leadership skills.
● The Sixth Form has a Leadership guarantee to ensure every Sixth Form student has opportunities through leading initiatives involving younger students, fund raising for charity, enterprise events etc. This helps develop confident young adults.
5. Teaching and Investment in colleagues
● Investment in “One Team” with weekly bespoke CPD offer for all staff, teaching and support.
● 35 Middle Leaders have completed a Middle Leader training course over 12 months with an external Consultant. The school has taken three cohorts through a Talent Programme to grow our future leaders and plan for succession.
● Leaderships guarantee for Sixth form students- weekly leadership programme and extensive leadership opportunities in school.
● Accredited provider for NPQML, NPQML and SBM qualifications.
● AQA hub for Science
● Rigorous support and development programme for NQT/RQT/ Schools Direct trainees- School’s Professional Mentor part of QA team for Oldham.
6. Personal Development of Students
● A comprehensive and innovative careers information and guidance programme ensures all students receive relevant information to help them make informed decisions re career pathways.
● Careers Days/Fairs involving business, vocational, FE and HE partners.
● Extensive whole school fund raising for Charity, over £20,000 raised for local hospice over the last 2 years – resulting in the Greater Manchester Active Community Award 2014.
7. Outstanding English Department
● 3 LOP – trend of continuous improvement over 4 years from 71% in 2012 to 88% in 2015.
● 4 LOP- trend of continuous improvement over 3 years from 27% in 2012 to 46% in 2015.
● Both of the above significantly above the national average.
● Attainment 8 average English grade moved from C to B- with pupil progress score of +0.4.
● Positive VA scores at KS5 for both English Literature and English Language at both AS and A2.
Teaching and Learning:
● Strengths across the Department in marking and feedback; questioning; differentiation; engagement in learning; lesson structure / sequence and level of challenge.
● 3 SLEs in the Department who have supported other schools.
● Examiners within the Department at both GCSE and A level.
8. Strong Governance
● The Governing Body awarded Governor Mark – May 2014.
● Trained annually on Raise on Line, Governor Data Dashboard, Inspection Dashboard, Level 3 Value Added, FFT Data Dashboard, Destination Reports.
● Rigorously hold Senior/Middle Leaders to account via the Governor Committee structure.
● The Governing Body are ambitious for the school.